Hello friends. It's been a while.
I'm at one of those exquisite places...when I fall off my bike. Slide off the chair, step in a puddle, hit myself in the face with a door. You get the picture...
What exactly...do we think we know?
I've had more and more folks approaching me, talking, chatting about spirituality. Spiritual awakening, what is it? Relating to things I've said or written and I relate to what they say, and in those moments...we grow. We acknowledge each other, we nod, we smile. Even if we don't see eye to eye in our interpretations, we ponder the same things. We are no longer alone in what we were experiencing. And this is beautiful no matter where we are in the circle. Because the secret is... the further we go, the less we know. And that's the real gift: it's faith, trust, and appreciation for the unknown. Freedom of mind, of other people's thoughts. The journey of the Self. Gratitude for the exploration. Gratitude for rising each morning, starting our days intentionally, and not knowing what wonderful things might happen or what challenges we might face. What a kick in the pants. And I wouldn't change a moment, the whole ride so far has helped me to become a more compassionate, patient, creative, appreciative person, finding more courage, grace, and persistence than I've ever known I had. Humbled in gratitude. <3
This is a loaded question. And I will say, that it's different for all of us, yet similar in its scope. Awakening...is transformation. Talk to people, observe, look around, notice things. Simplicity: nature, beauty, sunsets, smiles, ocean waves, birds in flight. Kindness in strangers. Patterns, trends, similarities, differences. Pay attention to how the world works, how nature works, how people work, most importantly, yourself. How YOU work. And you'll begin to understand. There is such beauty, a stillness, a peacefulness, a great Love... all around us, despite what media tells us. See...that we are all connected. Your awakening may be different from mine in what you see, feel, and know. But yet, we change. We grow. We're evolving.
I can't paint you a picture or write it all down succinctly, or explain anything to you. I can't give you a how-to list. Not really, no one can. It's about you. I can tell you about me, but I can't tell you about you. Only you...can. And that's pretty much the whole basis of waking up. Understanding that you are an individual that is multifaceted, dynamic, interesting, shocking, boring, all of it. You are a story. A grand collection and enactment of hopes, fears, dreams, and struggle. Dark and light, sorrow and joy. A dance of all of these things. And we can change what our stories say, if we see them for what they are. Once we know who we are. We get to choose, once we can see clearly. Some of us see magic, some of us see science. It's all the same to me. The true nature of the human experience... is amazingly magical and incredible to me. So the science IS the magic, and the magic is proven. It's just reality, one that most of humanity has fallen asleep to.
Who are you?
That's a whole blog in itself, but this is the direction I will leave you with: remove time. Who you are isn't your breakfast, your clothing, your mate, your job. If you were dropped into another time, far removed from this one, and you woke up, searching, exploring, seeking, feeling, acting...who is that person? That...is who you are. A soul, a being, who observes, adapts, and moves. We make the rest of it up, based upon history, experience, the thoughts of others, the ties we make, family, friends, jobs, adventure. We create stories of identity. Wake up to the idea that...you can create your life, on purpose. Consciously. Intentionally. Not as a victim of life, but as a creator of life.
I can tell you that there is great freedom to be found in facing fear, although I can't tell you what your fears are.
I can tell you that you're worthy of an amazing life and that it's okay to want things, although I can't tell you what to want.
I can tell you that I've had the most humbling, beautiful, awe-inspiring glimpses into the worlds of spirit and energy, although I can't prove them to you or tell you how to "achieve it" yourself.
I can tell you that all you need is within you and that all you need to do is listen.
I can tell you what an awakening might feel like, in terms of internal thoughts and feelings and experiences:
- suddenly seeing the world with new eyes, as if you were reborn
- finding yourself more aware of your connection to others and to the world around you, often without reason, and often at times of great grief and sorrow
- vivid dreams that seem to convey messages to you, sometimes abstract, sometimes crystal clear
- noticing patterns and synchronicity more often, and asking questions about whether they might mean something, when you had never entertained those thoughts
- consciously wanting to learn more and more; you may feel like a sponge, wanting to soak up input, constantly
- you may begin to notice things you weren't aware of before about societal function and structure, and you start to question those things as well (government, education, food, medicine, social groups, equality)
- you may feel driven by impulse, you may feel more creative, you may feel urged to follow your heart and trust your gut feelings more
- you may find yourself in battle between fact and fiction, science and spirit, what you know and what you imagine
- you may explore religion, if you never have, or you may disband with your set religion altogether, favoring freedom and compassion, but something will cause a shift in your understanding of spirituality
- you will just KNOW...that there is more. More than you ever imagined before. And you'll find yourself drawn to others who share your new views and perspectives, and your life, as you know it, will change.
Transformation is a gift. Allow it, allow your Self to rise up. And be kind, patient, and gentle with yourself. Treat yourself as if you were reborn, because you are. Parts of you must die, in order to truly live. Know that you're not alone. Know that once you fight through the jungle of doubts and torment and pain and fear and nastiness...that you'll find beauty, joy, wonder, awe, and hope. That you'll wonder how you made it through...before. Every sleepless night of thinking and rethinking and praying for peace. Every book, every new adventure, every new soul you encounter is meant to help you and guide you...not punish you. See everyone and everything as a teacher, and you'll come through lessons very quickly.
Learn. Grow. Evolve.
And always, always, always...come back to Love. <3 It's who we are, beneath it all. xo